Saturday 26 January 2008

Sir Edmund Hillary Poem

The last time I met Sir Ed was on a street corner in Delhi on a sweltering May day, 44 oC, in 2003. There he was in a suit and tie to inaugurate Tenzing Norgay Marg (street) and Sir Edmund Hillary Marg as part of the 50th celebrations of the first ascent of Everest. The New Zealand High Commission is aptly situated in Sir Edmund Hillary Marg. I was so inspired to see Ed that afternoon, that I wrote a poem that night.



BIG E

Fifty years ago you stood atop Big E
Now it’s on a street corner in Del-hi
With the State Minister called Sheila Dikshit
You in a black suit, you looked a misfit

Why don’t you turn that thief of a clock back
Change the stick for an ice axe and back pack
And stride across the Himalayas again
And rid yourself of Delhi’s indignity and pain

You’re Ed my hero since fifty-three
Saw you in the National Geo on my Mother’s knee
I want to remember you in the photo on Mt Ciook
And with Tenzing on Everest in my very first book

You did it for Tenzing and warped loyalty
You got qualities that surpasses anyone in Royalty
So lets return to the Kaikoura’s where it all began
And enjoy your last days in New Zealand

1 comment:

Paterika Hengreaves said...

How did I miss reading this poem? It is a very impressive poem honouring Sir Ed in well thought out quatrains down memory lane with the greatest mountaineer who ever live. His memory will never die.